Sunday, May 26, 2024

Library at Strahov Monastery, Prague, Czech Republic


Photo by Xuanlu Wang /

Excerpt from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Theological Hall

Pictured: The Theological Library with stucco decoration and paintings from 1720s.

In 1670 Jeroným Hirnheim, a philosopher and theologist became the abbot of Strahov. His greatest work, which has survived to the present days, was the building of the new library, the present Theological Hall completed in 1679. During the 17th and the early 18th century other abbots continued in the reconstruction of the monastery. They also cared for the church, which was repaired and decorated several times during the given period. The monastery experienced other great building activity namely after the assault of French and Bavarian troops in 1742, when it was bombarded. After this destruction of the monastery the abbot organized building works again in the course of which the church was rebuilt along with the monastery area.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of use for details.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.

Learn more at Monastery or visit the Strahov Monastery website (click on “Library”)

Copyright © 2011 • KLM, Inc. • All Rights Reserved

Print Friendly, PDF & Email